Marathon of the Daleks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003)

+2
LeighMontano
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Empty Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003)

Post  Admin Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 am

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe"

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Top_ge10

If you haven't seen Top Gear, you're missing out. I'm not even a car guy but this is such a fun show. The hosts come up with inventive racing, silly sketches, and awesome interviews.

In one of their sketches from Season Two, they pit up a ton of science fiction villains to determine who is the Master of the Universe. Who will win? Will the Daleks be involved?

You can watch the full episode on Amazon Prime or Netflix Instant. It's episode eight of series two. If you can just find the sketch online, be sure to post it here.

What did you think of that? Was that your first exposure to Top Gear? How much do you value your car? Did the right creature win?

Admin
Admin

https://daleks.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Empty Convertibles in the UK

Post  LeighMontano Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Instead of just going to Netflix or Amazon to watch this episode, I just pulled it up on my iPod. I've seen this episode a few times. Probably 15 or 20...I kinda like Top Gear. The first episode of Top Gear that I saw was the Japan race with the Nissan something fast against the Japanese public transportation system. There was a marathon on BBCA so I might've watched the rest of the episodes they were showing that day. I've seen every episode at least 5 times. I should get some sort of prize just for that....(At one point I was thinking of doing a paper about the social commentary in British television compared to American television. Top Gear was going to be one of my examples.) I really like Top Gear.

I like that they kept with BBC tradition and had some of the cheesiest/cheapest costumes for this segment. The Cyberman costume, the Darth Vader costume, the Klingon, they were all kinda bad. The Dalek was the only one that was really awesome and that's probably because they just asked the BBC to borrow a couple and they actually had one on hand unlike a Cyberman, or a "good" Cyberman.

The quip, "It looks smaller on the inside" from the "Doctor" was quite funny. And the fact that two different personalities have mentioned that the daleks are flummoxed by stairs and that it is probably a part of the British psyche that they suck at stairs amuses me. They're the most feared in all the universe and can't do stairs. But they can fix a blocked sink!

The Cyberman didn't really win. You can't win if you've been destroyed by daleks, but what evs.

I think the segment on convertibles in the UK is a funnier segment in this episode but that's just me. Also in this season, they have a race for fastest political party and fastest religion. Both amusing mainly for the people they bring on the show.

LeighMontano

Back to top Go down

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Empty Fun Sketch

Post  michellemanzo Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 am

I hate how I have to title my replies. It seems unnecessary. Anyway, I was waiting on something to render at work so I decided to watch this while I was waiting. Really good use of company time I think.

First of all, I can't get over how ridiculous that cyberman looks. Hilariously ridiculous. The whole time I was trying to decide how the dalek was going to drive this car, but it only seems natural that he just shoots everyone instead. Seemed like a pretty dalek thing to do. It seems like he should have gotten first place though! I mean, he clearly defeated all of his opponents...even if it wasn't necessarily on the track.

michellemanzo

Back to top Go down

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Empty Re: Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003)

Post  pedaubry Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 am

Ha, EXTERMINATE! Where the hell'd the second one come from? I love how the Cyberman had helmet problems but still won. Dalek zapping Darth Vader was the best part.

pedaubry

Back to top Go down

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Empty The Doctor!

Post  Admin Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:41 am

This was hilarious. This is one of the things I added to this contest, but hadn't watched yet. I saved it and I'm glad I did. Although the Dalek had some funny bits, it was the Cyberman who made me laugh the most. Any cut to him was entertaining and they even knew what planet he was from!

I didn't know that a Doctor was going to cameo and even though his lines were cheesy, it was awesome to see him there. I love the Top Gear guys. I really need to watch more episodes of this show.

Admin
Admin

https://daleks.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003) Empty Re: Top Gear - "Master of the Universe" (TV sketch, 2003)

Post  robbiemehling Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Pretty funny, I reckon. I've never been interested in watching Top Gear and I'm still not but this sketch was funny.

But I thought Vader was the best and how ruthless he was to win. And the Klingon cheating. And yet the judges didn't care and didn't factor anything into the results.

robbiemehling

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Wood Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:45 am

I'm surprised the Cyberman did so well with that interference.

Weird that the Doctor they got was Colin Baker. He's the surviving Doctor that's changed the most, really. He looked like he was having fun, though.

Does the Klingon planet "Klingza" have any basis in anything? They probably could have found Qo'noS/Kronos on Wikipedia in two seconds. Also it doesn't seem apparent how cloaking actually let him cheat. I assume he cut through the inside of the track, but they didn't say that. They just did the cute "oh, he cloaked!" moment.

Before watching this episode, I only knew Top Gear through "that show that populates BBC America's programming that isn't Star Trek: The Next Generation marathons" and an homage segment in the Firefly podcast The Signal where the hosts of the show "Full Burn" race a Firefly-class ship against a horse to cross Serenity Valley first (the spaceship has to get out of atmosphere before crossing due to airspace restrictions, making it a fair race). I have to say that while it was more fun than, say Car and Driver The TV Show, I didn't feel engaged. It's still a show for car lovers, and I couldn't get into it as well as I wanted to.

Peter Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down